Sunday, July 6, 2008

WallE as social commentary?


We went to see the Disney Pixar movie WallE with some friends last night. I was not excited to see it because I have a stigma about animated films, but I eventually got over it. The movie was cute, they really made me love WallE and his robotic love, Eva. There was one point when WallE short circuited and I choked back a tear in fear his lovable personality was gone with his circuit board.

What I was not prepared for was the commentary on American life. While I agree with the writers of this film, I was surprised that I hadn't heard anything about the strong statements this films makes about American consumerism and consumption. I think this would be a great example to use with my students to discuss author agenda and purpose.

If you haven't seen the movie it's worth the time.

No comments: