Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Workin' the Polls


Yesterday I had the wonderful opportunity to serve at the August Primaries. I worked from 4:30 AM to 8:00 PM taking voter IDs and making sure that civilians were cleared for voting. Out of the whole day, our precinct only processed 174 voters. This made for a long and slow day. I did begin and finish a 300 page novel, Life as we Knew It, a depressing book about the end of the world. There are many rules to being an election judge but one thing that stuck me was the constant system of checks and balances. A Democrat and a Republican judge had to initial everything and witness everything. No one person could ever complete a task without a member of the opposite political party present.

I will be working on November 4th, which I've been told is predicted to be a record breaking election for voters. I guess I won't be finishing any books that day. In the meantime I plan to learn all I can about the issues so that I can make a most informed decision come November 4th!

No comments: