Saturday, September 22, 2007

Blackboard Mania!

Well I have a blackboard site now. I am planning on using it with one of my classes for a threaded discussion board about their books. Kerry Townsend is coming Wednesday to show me how to operate it and I have been playing around getting things set up.

I took a survey of my first hour, also my highest functioning group, the majority have access to Internet at home and seem pretty tech comfortable. I will use the site for them as their reader's notebook entries rather than keeping the spiral bound one that everyone else has. I am requiring the kids to post three times a week and respond to at least 5 of their peers.

I think within a few weeks I might be introducing the site to the kids.

I have posted due dates on the calendar and made a glossary of all our vocabulary words.

I guess with tech you just need to take the plunge and try it. Can't wait around for the availability to increase or the access to get easier.

I'm feeling pretty excited!!

There's a dirty rumor floating around that Smithton is getting their projectors installed by Thanksgiving! If this is true I am elated. I figured it would be March or April....

1 comment:

utgrad78751 said...

You're right! It's like jumping off the high board... kinda scary at first but soon you find it's lots of fun! I use discussion groups with my students. I limit each group to about six students and get them to respond to at least 2 of their classmates. (Mine are busy grad students.) It is great when I'm asking them to analyze something. They have such unique insights into a single situation. Such discussions help to expand and deepen their understanding in ways that wouldn't happen in a face-to-face setting. Good luck with it!