Sunday, November 11, 2007

Becoming Experts

Well Krista and I are creating a unit right now that will begin after Thanksgiving break. We're the Reading and Language Arts teachers on our team and our kids see us consecutively. We both were interested in multimedia presentations and needed to teach some nonfiction objectives so we've devised a plan to have our student work on one big project in both of our classes.

We're asking our kids to pick something and become an expert on it. We'll be teaching research skills as well as using the wireless lab to have them create multimedia presentation for their final oral presentation to the class. We'll keep you posted on their progress.

On a more personal note, I had the worst day of my teaching career last Friday. I am learning so much about myself by being in this profession. I am not a teacher so that kids like me, I am a teacher because I care about what's best for kids. Every day you've gotta let go of the natural desire to make people happy and do what is best for kids- even when kids are angry with you for doing so.

Monday is a new day. It's amazing how kids think teachers must not have any feelings.

No comments: