Thursday, April 10, 2008

MAPapaloooza!


We started taking the MAP test Tuesday. Those days, are long and draining. The kids behave as if they're captives recently set free when they come to class after the testing. Something that I noticed is someone somewhere must have told them that it was such an incredible task to completed the standardized tests because all of them feel entitled to a day of mindless games once testing is over. "We actually have to learn today?" was the common question yesterday. I am learning to ignore that question and plow ahead.


I did do a really fun activity with my classes Tuesday. It's called write it and you put out scrap pieces of paper for the kids to use in the middle of their table. They have to write notes to people in class with one compliment and one question. They then walk the note to the recepient (no airmail) and sit down to write another note. You have to respond to all the notes you receive and there is no talking. Anyone who talks sits out of the game for 2 minutes. It worked beautifully for 24 minutes in class. They begged to play again Wedensday but I had other plans. I got the idea off another teaching blog learningismessy.blogspot.com.


I am enjoying the hour and a half to sit and read or work on Fellows papers.

1 comment:

Middle Name Marie said...

Those kids are sitting to close...watch out for the MAP police!!!!