Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Lessons in Classroom Management from Summer School


So it's day three of summer school and I am starting to notice some things about my professional self. This last school year, I think I grew a lot in the area of classroom management. I learned to let go of trying to be nice and give everyone a chance over and over again and I also learned that some kids are really convincing liars.

As I teach economics I have several young scholars that would rather be doing something else with their summer vacation. If I am honest, I would too. It makes for a difficult classroom.

There's a SPED teacher in the room with me during some of the classes. Day one, he noticed a class that was particularly rowdy and disinterested. Day two, he asked if he could begin class. Immediately when he begins to speak, the students stop and listen. He carries some weight in their mind. Me, I am simply the young teacher in the capri pants that probably won't do anything when they don't turn in their work for the day. Of course, the class was like night and day. The rest of the hour went so smooth. They participated and had some of the best discussion. I was left feeling satisfied but inadequate in the area of management.

There's another teacher on my summer school team who teaches at a junior high. She is nice, but doesn't put up with crap from anyone. She was telling me how she sent kids out into the hall yesterday for having a side conversation when she was talking.

I need to toughen up. Love means boundaries. Being a young female, I walk into a classroom with a slight disadvantage. Today, I crack down. I am trying to do it without emotion. Simply matter of fact tell students to go sit in the hallway or move to the safe seat (ugh, I hate that name). That's always been my issue in the past. Too much emotion. It's not about me, right? Therefore, it can be an emotionless action.

I am trying to love my job this summer. I am trying to be thankful for the opportunity. I am still working on both of these.

For now, just call me Sergeant.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

First blog post ever...you should feel honored to be part of such a monumental moment! Just wanted to say I'm proud of you and I completely agree with your thoughts on being a young, female teacher. I wonder if we really can be a "sergeant" or if there's some other approach out there we have not explored? I also wonder if it's different for high school and middle school...has to be right?! When are we getting together this week yo?

Megan