Tuesday, June 3, 2008

School's out for Summer!


The end is finally here. It's been a long road. I think back to all that I learned in this year of teaching. I am not the same person who walked into this classroom last August.




Teaching is no easy task. I sometimes wonder, can I make a life long career out of this?




This morning I reflected on why I entered this profession in the first place. I am a teacher because I have a strong desire to have a greater mission, one that impacts the lives of others. I teach because teachers have changed me over the years. I teach because I believe there are many individuals who need someone to believe in them and care.




With all the obstacles, this job comes with great personal satisfaction. Today as I signed yearbooks, I thought about how much my sixth graders have grown. Some of them have learned to love reading and have come such a long way academically. I see them maturing and becoming their own individuals!




Yes, there are days where I want to break down in despair. Days where my feeling are hurt so easily by a curt comment of a student. But then there are also days where I see some of the fruit of my labor and the labor of all the teachers who've come before me and it makes it worth it.




Remembering my roots has been good for my soul in these last couple of days.

No comments: