Tuesday, September 23, 2008

An Important Reminder

So, I know I'm guilty of it, but I forget that my students have lives outside my classroom. Today was a great reminder that I am one small piece of their full and sometimes complicated lives. I sent a student out to the buddy room for shouting out and arguing with another student during class. She's secretly a favorite of mine, the kind who totally fights any kind of praise or recognition but later, privately shows you that she cares. Well, anyway, I send her out and she tells me she's glad to go and later I see her in ac lab. She mutters a "sorry I acted up, I didn't really want to leave class today," and throws a note on my desk. I open it and read:

"I got sent to the safe seat and then another student was laughing at me so I said shut up and was sent to the buddy room. I will just ignore that student next time. Also, I think I'm slipping because my dad and step mom are getting a divorce and I'm really upset about it. I'll try when I come to school to leave that behind and focus on my work. Sorry. I really am. "

Just wanted to hug her. One, for letting herself be vulnerable, and two, because divorce sucks and I can't imagine dealing with it while also balancing life when your hormones are off the charts. I guess my class is not always the biggest thing on my students' minds. It's good to remember that they have all kinds of baggage they bring in each day. Maybe some of them need a little slack every once in a while.

1 comment:

Zachbot3000 said...

Wow. Are you sure these are seventh graders? I still have too much pride to be able to admit when I was wrong like that, and be willing to uncover the deeper issues. Really cool.