Sunday, January 18, 2009

Binge blogging



So it's been some time and I haven't posted much but life is crazy right now. Crazy in a good way, but crazy none the less. First, let me update you on the Tap Project. The Missourian (Columbia's local paper) came and interviewed students last week. The story will run this week and I will do my best to get you a link or somehow share the article with you. Students were interviewed and they all thought it was the greatest thing that someone outside of our class cared about what we are trying to do in our community.




Now, on Tuesday, KOMU news is coming to film and interview the students as they present their pitch for how to implement the Tap Project. They're going to get to see their presentations and hopefully this publicity will only encourage local restaurants to join in the cause. The Tap Project just updated their website for the 2009 campaign and if you're interested in getting involved you can register there: tapproject.org


In addition to all the Tap excitement, I am speaking at a technology conference tomorrow. Two other teachers from Smithton and I will be presenting on using technology to teach literacy. My 30 minute section is about discussion boards, blogs, and online community. I feel honored to present but nervous to speak in front of my peers. I know as teachers we publicly speak all day long, but my usual audience is thirteen and I'm almost always more knowledgeable than they are. It's much more intimidating to speak in front of other professionals. I figure it's probably good for me to be a little uncomfortable sometimes and I am getting to incorporate some of my Fellow's presentation materials into this presentation. I think it will go well but I will feel relief once it's over.


In other exciting news, Chris and I purchased a small dresser for $25 from the Salvation Army yesterday. My plan is to strip it and repaint it and respray the hardware. I'll post a before and after shot when I get it finished. Here's the dresser now. It also has a mirror that attaches but we're storing that for right now.

2 comments:

Emily said...

That dresser is going to look great when you are finished with it!! I can't wait to see how it turns out. And how cool that your students are getting so much coverage!!

Geri said...

What a neat project for your students. Weren't there any dressers in the basement back room for you???