Monday, December 15, 2008

The Jaeger's Little Apartment of Horrors

We have mice.

Let that sink in a moment. I have small animals sharing a home with me. Disgusting!

We've set some traps and these mice are taking the bait. The first time I was lucky and Chris was the only one home when he heard the "whack" from the trap closing in on it's prey. The result, one messy, headless mouse. After disposing of the body, Chris thought, maybe he should look behind the refrigerator where the other trap was set. Sure enough, the trap had successfully massacred another little mouse. We're talking blood all over the floor.

So today, on my snow day ,I called the leasing office to see if they could set some more traps. While I was out someone came by and placed the traps in the two places we'd had them before. I was nervous to come home, thinking maybe the mice were on to our plan and would lead a revolt the second I walked through the door.

I came home to a house where nothing seemed different. The note from the maintenance man said they'd indeed been by and set two traps. I forced myself to peek in the furnace closet to make sure that a mouse was not already trapped. Nothing. I'd been home a total of 15 minutes when I head a loud sound from behind the refrigerator, followed by a whimper and some scratching... oh sick, I knew that some little mouse was fighting for his little life. I could not bring myself to look so I just ignored the sound. I've been sitting in my apartment with the dead mouse behind the fridge for a few hours. When I heard maintenance shoveling the walk, I thought, this might be my chance to dispose of the rodent body. The maintenance man was very kind, he came right in, didn't flinch once and pulled the trap out from behind the fridge and carried on conversation with me while the lifeless body dangled off the trap.

Now I sit, waiting for the second "whack" to come. I can't help but feel a little bit like a cruel person, like we have own little apartment of horrors.

No comments: