Monday, December 15, 2008

Really Columbia Public Schools? Really?


It's icy, I mean my parking lot looks like an ice rink. I knew last night that today was going to be a snow day. So when the alarm went off this morning at 5:15, I eagerly turned on my TV to get the final word. Nope, no Columbia Public Schools. I drug my feet to get in the shower, thinking maybe they were still deliberating and that any minute they'd call off school. By 5:40, school was still on. Begrudgingly, I get in the shower, get myself completely ready. I sat down to enjoy my morning coffee and do a little reading before I have to thaw out my car from it's position under a thick sheet of ice. At 6:05, Columbia finally calls of school. While I am grateful to have an unexpected day off from work, I am irritated that I now am fully dressed, bundled, and make-uped. Really CPS? Did it look like the ice was going to melt itself between 5:00 am and 6:00? Really? And who waits until 6:00 am when some bus routes start picking kids up at 6:20 am? Really. I mean couldn't you make that decision last night when the anchor was reporting an inch of ice? Really!


I shouldn't complain, I'm off and many of my friends will have to thaw out their vehicles and make their way down treacherous streets to get to work today. My plan for today, read a book, work out, read my book some more, send my students an e-mail about how they still need to work on their portfolios because they will still be due Thursday, no matter how many snow days we have. The life of a teacher has it's perks!

No comments: