Wednesday, December 24, 2008

New York Recap












Well we're back. No thanks to the snowy weather in Chicago but we made it home alive and in time for Christmas so thank you Southwest, you continue to amaze me with your wonderful service and funny anecdotes over the loud speaker.



New York was a great trip! We did a lot of walking and looked at many pretty things. There were a few moments where I felt a meltdown coming on such as the times when we realized we walked four blocks in the wrong direction and the wind was stinging my face. Once we figured out how to get around things went much smoother.
Some highlights of our trip.
1. We saw Katie Holmes while shopping in J.Crew. The girl is tall and very nice, she was kind to those who stopped to ask her if she was indeed the Katie Holmes of the beloved Dawson's Creek tv sensation. Chris strongly discouraged me from taking a picture with my camera, which I now feel was a wise piece of advice, she did have two bodyguards with her and somehow I thought my photo session might put a damper on her J.Crew outing.

2. Slightly less exciting, but also a celeb sighting, was when Ann Curry (NBC's Today show) walked past me like we were BFF or something.

3. We saw a Broadway show, Spring Awakening. It's about a sexual awakening in Germany during the 1980s. Must see but not with your parents. Yes folks, this is not your Grandmother's musical. Wonderful songs. Chris and I have been singing the four lines we know from each of the songs over and over. We hope to someday soon actually acquire the music so that we can break free from our repetitive chorus.

4. We ate pizza three different occasions over our three day trip (you do the math). Thank you Ray's for providing a budget friendly piece of pizza and not trying to rip us off with bottled water. Note to self, when in NYC, order "tap water" and avoid the $4 bottle charge for some stinking filtered water.
5. Boots are a way of life in New York. Women have the cutest riding boots and I was uber jealous. Chris and I looked all over Soho for a reasonable pair of boots but had no luck. The new thing seems to be these Hunter boots. I know they look like these ugly old boots you might wear to go fishing but these things were all over New York and certainly any fashionista in the city must own a pair.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Sara! I saw your blog link on facebook and have been reading it. It's so good to hear things are going well for you! I miss you terribly! I sent you a Christmas card, but either I addressed it wrong, or you all moved because I just got it back in the mail. So sorry! I hope the holidays were good for you. I just started a new blog, but I'm still worried about students finding it, so I made it private. I'll send you an invite...what's your e-mail address?

Talk to you soon!

Emily (Baker) V.

Middle Name Marie said...

You can get cute hunter boots with polka dots or bright colors...they are going to be all the rage!

Geri said...

I saw a girl on the Plaza wearing those yellow boots with shorts--is that good or bad? -- we'll see come spring when the weather warms up again. She is the only person I have seen wearing them in KC. It looked pretty silly with shorts.