Thursday, May 21, 2009

Yet another classroom lesson learned the hard way...

Doing an advertising assignment. Needed magazines so I brought some from home. Seventh graders are like magnets to inappropriate pictures. One student would find an ad for something with a woman in a bikini and then flash it for the whole class to see, careful to be as loud and obvious about the fact that it's a "bad" picture in a magazine at school. I quickly realized after first core that I needed to go through each magazine and rip out all the Victoria Secret ads, scandalous pictures, and casual sex references. We're talking about hours of ripping out pages last night. It kind of shocked me how much sex is everywhere. I've become desensitized. My students, however, are hyper in tune with anything inappropriate in the classroom and very eager to share their discovery with their classmates.

2 comments:

Middle Name Marie said...

My students always ask if their paper can include "cuss words." Seriously, everytime

Emily said...

don't forget about all those alcohol ads!!! Ugh! So annoying, isn't it!!