Friday, March 6, 2009

Writing = Insecurity

I just joined a teacher writing group. As a product from the writing institute, an intense- 4 week, summer experience for teachers of writing, we are meeting once a month to share our personal writing.

When asked to join, I was honored and immediately said yes, and then reality struck... I don't write in my free time. This was going to pose as a problem.

After a few insecure moments, I talked to one of the group members about my fear in joining the group and my lack of contribution. She encouraged me to just come, observe, and then go from there.

So we met at Kaldi's and we shared. It was the first time where I've felt like I had meaningful relationships at my school (outside my teaching team). We talked about life, school, pregnancy (Kerry's) and then we sat down and honestly and openly looked at each piece of writing.
These women are good; they're insightful, talented, and witty in their writing. Despite their obvious craft of writing, I began to feel at ease. Writing seems best when it's simple. Each piece of writing dealt with the nuances of life. As we read and discussed, my mind swam with ideas of things I could begin writing about.

So I am resolving to try and write regularly. My students are beginning a short story study and we'll be writing our own short stories in the process. Each class begins with a creative writing prompt that hopefully will provide inspiration for future writing. I'm going to take that time and write each day with my students. I have a friend who teaches eighth grade in KC and she said she's started writing with her students, allowing her students to view her writing in her journal and it's been huge for building student confidence and trust in the classroom.
If students see us writing, I think they are willing to try it themselves.

So we'll see. The only way to hone the craft, is to write and write often.

2 comments:

Middle Name Marie said...

Are you taking the Writing Project this summer? I am enrolled in the Greater Kansas City Writing Project Summer Institute up here. I am pretty excited, but nervous to share my writing. Props. PS We won't be in COMO this weekend like I mentioned earlier...we will be coming twice in May

Sara said...

The kids asked about when you were coming today. Mary Jane mentioned it and then it was a Mrs. Wyss love fest for about three minutes while they all agreed, yes, you do need to come visit.

No writing project, it conflicts with summer school which I LOVE to teach...