Sunday, April 5, 2009

Confessions of a Voyeur

Okay, so I have a problem. I LOVE reading about, dabbling in, and becoming intertwined in the lives of people I do not know. I just spent three hours, (it is my spring break) reading about and following a new blog I only just discovered.


Is there such thing as “too much information?” I have a confession, one I’m guessing many people share, given reality television and Facebook are on the rise. I am a voyeur. Notice there’s no shame or underlying remorse in this confession, simply honesty. I greatly enjoy looking into others’ lives and passively participating.

It’s a part of an obsession I have. I love the thought of obsessions, as long as they don’t border on the edge of creepy. I really take pleasure in seeing into others’ lives. I enjoy “creeping” around on Facebook to find out whose pregnant, who’s still in Kansas City, and what my friends are doing over their lunch hour.

I don’t think I’m alone either. For example, Twitter is spreading like the bubonic plague. With Twitter, one can ALWAYS know what their friends are doing. …Sara is checking her email...Sara is wishing she had a carrot cake cupcake, …Sara burned dinner and is now looking for Papa John’s phone number. You might ask yourself, why would I need to know every banal moment of my friend’s lives? My guess is that these means of connection- Facebook, blogging, Twitter- allow people to stay connected without actually being connected. It’s friendship without the commitment and formality of time together and bothersome conversation.


And it’s this realization that makes me question my voyeuristic tactics. Have I become so disconnected that I allow a social networking site to do the job of communicating the major moments in my life? Do I check a website before placing a phone call to know what’s happening in the lives of those I love? Are condolences sent via technology over a meaningful face to face interaction? While I love the depth of knowledge at my fingertips and the amount of personal information within reach from the comfort of my couch, I don’t want to become another Twitter update. I don’t want to use websites and Google reader to do my relational work for me.

3 comments:

Kerry Townsend @kltown said...

Love seeing this in "print"!

Middle Name Marie said...

hey--I would text over talk any day...you still talk to people and connect...you just avoid small talk! I still think being able to connect with people in person is great. As long as you aren't a creepy recluse, you're all good!

Unknown said...

LOL I have always been a voyeur, ever since I was about the age of 16. There used to be this website of a couple who had cameras running in their house 24/7 and you could see them do EVERYTHING! I was apart of it. There is just something about seeing into other peoples lives thats addicting.