Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Feeling Like I Love Them

Went to a track meet today after school. Aside from the gorgeous warm weather, I loved watching my students compete in the different events. I forget the fact that they are these people that do things outside of school. I saw determination and pride in students that in class hide and hope that no one notices their missing work, failing grades, or lack of reading skills.

Cheering them on in something other academics was powerful. I was reminded of how far these kids have come in the last two years. Even though many of them acted nonchalant when I yelled their name in a race on or offered a "good luck," in passing, I think it was important for them to know I care about all aspects of their lives. I want to see them succeed not only in class, but in life.

1 comment:

Geri said...

You go above and beyond the line of duty. Your kids must just love you. They are very lucky!