Friday, June 19, 2009

Cute Story


So we decided to build in some team fun time during summer school and on Fridays we have 40 minutes of "team games." We also draw names from coupons our students earned in our classes throughout the week. Today's prize: a Taco Bell coupon for a free bean burrito or taco (hot item). Well one little young man who sleeps every morning on the bleachers before classes begin, won one of the prizes and you would of thought he'd just been named the next American Idol. He put his hands over his mouth and was in such appreciation and shock that he stood there for a moment unable to respond. There were tears in the little guy's eyes when I handed him the coupon. I know kids today can be stinky and entitled, but this moment reminded me of all the kids out there that would be so happy with a coupon for a free taco.




P.S. I am getting hugs at an alarming rate, I have many "Mrs. Jaeger" pictures hanging in my summer school room and I feel like a celebrity walking down the hall on the way to the buses. While these sixth graders might be more immature, they are lovers. I never got that kind of attention once my kids became seventh graders.

2 comments:

Middle Name Marie said...

Nowadays I tend to caught up in content and forget about all the love those little ones used to bestow on me. I am so used to underhanded insults and burns that i have become a little calloused. I guess with innocence comes the inability to remember a pencil. Small price to pay...

www.flickr.com/photos/89898604@N00/6331300

Bld424 said...

I love this post. It makes me remember that I am a middle school teacher at heart, and that the reason I wasn't happy in high school is because I like having Super Fans who draw pictures for me and are nutty. Not super cool super prep kids who ignore me! So maybe be as a teacher is a little narcisstic part of my personality... ha!