Tuesday, June 30, 2009

the honeymoon is officially over


In teaching, there is the blissful period where children behave as angels: they are polite, considerate and appreciative... that is until the get to know you. Today, the "honeymoon" is officially over. This is a sobering reality for any educator. This means things get much tougher, you have to use your stern voice in order to get the same results you were getting those first joyful, easy-going days.


If I had a dollar for every eye roll, under the breath grunt, and thrown Lego we'd be able to pay off Chris' medical school debt. Seriously, who teaches the eye roll, is it innate or something? You'd think I was asking these kids to perform brain surgery the way they whine and complain. I'm sorry if my Venn diagram really puts you out too much, this is summer school, after all.


Found myself losing my patience many times today. At one point I wanted to throw up my hands in frustration and walk out of the room. These days happen in this occupation. Tomorrow will be better, I hope. If not, I may have to resort to desperate measures. By desperate measures I mean, silent ball all hour.

1 comment:

Emily said...

be careful...i had a girl break her arm last summer during an intense game of silent ball!!