Thursday, July 2, 2009

"I would like to bring back the hope that my people lost."


This was so touching. My dear friend, Kristen, is in Africa working for a non-profit that assists orphans. She posted this on her blog today. Kristen, I hope you don't mind me posting Mugisha's essay here as well. Powerful words.



Name: Mugisha Geofrey

School: New Kabale Busega High School

Mentor: Kyesubire Agnes


MY LIFE.

My names are Mugisha Geofrey and I was born on the 5th July, nineteen years ago. I started going to school in 1993 and I haven’t stopped since then. The question of who I am has come across as an early one so I won’t hesitate telling you who I am. I am a humble individual so I do not have the word proud in my vocabulary. I am so down to earth that I make Mother Teresa look mean. I treasure more than anything material in this world, my education and therefore am addicted to my studies. I like making friends since am an extrovert and therefore am not the least bit an anti-social person. I believe in God so I am a diehard Christian, I am so tidy that my friends and family call me a neat freak but I do not mind. I love sharing with others my dreams and ambitions since am an open minded person and one thing I believe I would really love everyone to have is Education.


I believe am God’s gift to humanity so that why I exist. I am an emotional person so it hurts me very much to see people in trying situations like poverty and illiteracy so I have dedicated my life to help people out of such situations towards an adorable specific destination. I can see my community with income generating projects, holistic education providers, profit earning community with numerous business ideas put to proactive with me in the community driving seat.


It is not the years in our life that count but the life in our years. So with my life, I would like to serve my community like no one has ever done. I come from a place where a family of many people survives on a dollar per day. I come from a place where hundreds of people are massacred by heartless people. I come from a place where pupils sit under mango trees to attain education. I come from a place where people get infected with HIV every single minute. I come from a place where one to attain a job has to be a son, a brother, a friend or a relative of some prominent person. I come from a place where the police disrupts peace that it is supposed to give. I come from a place where my people have lost hope.


I would like to bring back that hope that my people lost. I would like to simplify my people’s lives, I would like to have an HIV-free community, I would like to preach brotherhood to do away with the terror my people live. I would like job competition to be free and fair and I would like my community to be a better place to live in. That’s what I want to do with my life. The things that we do for ourselves die with us but those we do for others remain and are immortal.

No comments: